Eight Tips for Better Hearing
- Louder is not always better! Speak slowly and clearly, and remember there is no need to shout.
- Get the full attention of the listener before speaking, and face them when you speak. “Cross Room” talk is difficult, try speaking when the listener can see your face.
- Reduce background noise as much as possible; sometimes this takes creative seating solutions.
- If in a restaurant, make sure the person with hearing loss is seated with their back to a corner to help reduce the amount of noise surrounding them. Corner booths are great!
- Rephrase, rather than repeat, a misunderstood sentence.
- Use an assistive listening device like Hearing Aids to increase speech understanding, particularly in noisy situations.
- Take turns talking when in a group situation. It is especially hard for people with hearing loss to follow the conversation when more than one person is talking.
- When in doubt, ask what you can do to make communication easier.
If you or a loved one is struggling with hearing in noise and concerned about hearing difficulty, call or email Central Texas Hearing Center and schedule an appointment for a hearing evaluation. Audiologists, Dr. Leah Guempel in San Marcos and Dr. Amanda Langham in Austin, take pride in providing compassionate and thorough hearing care. Central Texas Hearing Center offers new hearing aid sales with risk-free hearing aid trial periods. Each new hearing aid investment comes with lifetime care and adjustments, complimentary lifetime batteries, and two or three-year manufacturer’s warranty. Central Texas Hearing Center accepts most major insurances, call for an appointment today.
Better Technology. Better Service. Better Hearing for Life.
Austin: (512) 879-3993
San Marcos: (512) 667-7921